Friday, January 15, 2010

I'd LOVE to get a pedicure while I am pregnant, but I have read that the fumes from the salon are toxic. W2D?

I asked my doctor about this too :- ) and he said that the fumes were not toxic, it is just a matter of whether or not the smell makes you nauseated...for some women, especially in early pregnancy the smell would make them sick. The only thing you have to be concerned about is getting the foot massage from a pedicure in late pregnancy, an inexperienced person could trigger labor for you through certain pressure points on your foot, so you may just want to skip the massage part if you are over 37 weeks. But there is nothing that makes you feel prettier than having cute toes-even though you will be too big to see them yourself :- )I'd LOVE to get a pedicure while I am pregnant, but I have read that the fumes from the salon are toxic. W2D?
Some people find the acrylic from the nails makes them nauseated.


But I dont think just being in the salon (for the pedicure) you would get too much of a whiff of it


It didnt bother me at all and I recently got my toes and fingernails done, made me feel great!


As for it being toxic, I am a dental assistant and we use the same acrylic compound for our temporary crowns, I discussed this with my doctor and he said that the fumes were not toxic, its just a matter of if it made me nauseated or not.


Enjoy your day at the salon :)I'd LOVE to get a pedicure while I am pregnant, but I have read that the fumes from the salon are toxic. W2D?
I don't think it is a big deal. My friend kept her nails done the whole time she was pregnant with her son and is now doing the same thing being pregnant with her daughter. She has had no problems at all. Also, in a salon, it is usually pretty open and well ventilated so its not like you are really breathing it in much, I don't really even notice it at my nail salon.
They say that you shoudl not go into a nail salon until you are past your 20th week of pregnancy because yes the fumes are toxic. Now what i never understood was how the women at the salon that work there, get pregnant and work there all day everyday from month 1 through 9. I wont take that chance. Im 30 weeks and i just started 2 weeks ago getting them done. i wanted to make sure my baby was 100% ok. its your discretion though, but definitly not in the first trimester since its your most crucial.
You could go to a salon that does not specialize in nails. I'm not sure how toxic it is, but yes nail salons have a strong smell from the fumes. Try a regular beauty salon that does hair, massages, etc. The one I go to like that offers manicure/pedicures and there is no smell in there because they are not doing nails for 300 people all day long.
Hello sweetie, and yes fumes can be toxic. But some tips are to go to the salon, get the cute pedicure but ask for HYPOALLERGENIC nail polish if they have any, and then when you get home drink about one bottle of water.


I'm sure your baby will be adorable!


xoxox


-Kat
I walked into a nail bar once and the fumes were disgusting so i wouldnt recomend it.Soak your feet in a bowl of warm water at home with olive oil or an essential oil,and ask some kind person to paint your toenails if you have trouble reaching them.
Do it! They are not so toxic that you could not go get your toes done for an hour. I kept my nails/fills going while I was pregnant and my daughter was fine. If it will make you feel better do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment